- 300g Mandarins
- 200g Dates, soaked in 1/2 cup boiling water
- Jelly 2 tsp Chia seeds by soaking in 6 tsp water for 30 mins (Or 2 eggs)
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup Rice Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Bicarb Soda
- 1/3 cup Cacao Powder
- 1 cup Almond Meal
- Chocolate Coconut Butter
- Place whole mandarins in a saucepan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Drain and repeat, this time reducing to a simmer once boiled and cook for one hour. Drain and cool.
- Preheat oven to 180 C and and line the base of a 20 cm spring form tin with baking paper.
- Sift together Flour, Baking powder, Bicarb Soda and Cacao.
- Blend together Mandarins, Dates and Dates soaking water.
- Add jellied Chai (or 2 eggs), Sugar and blend until light and creamy and then add Flour mix and Almond meal and blend until combined.
- Pour into prepared tin and bake on 180 C for 45-50 minutes.
- Leave in tin to cool then decorate with Chocolate Coconut Butter with Mandarin Segments, and/or Strawberry's or Blueberry's or shaved 85 - 95% Dark Chocolate. Serve a slice of cake with a cup of Buddha or Rooibos Tea.
My Journey Notes:
I found this cake tastes better if left to settle in the fridge for a day. I also think oranges could be used in place of mandarins, if you're anything like me and like a less tangy taste. I made my cake in a round cake tin, but I think a square one would be better for serving in small cubes with a cup of anti-oxidant tea. Wrapping cubes in grease proof paper is ideal for lunchboxes too ~ Chris.